Call for Pecha Kuchas
The Climate, Art, and Digital Activisms 4-day Festival of ideas brings together interdisciplinary researchers, educators, and practitioners with expertise in the climate-related social issues, media, refugee communities, creative arts, curatorial practice, arts-based research, small data, and digital methods.
The festival program will be held over 3 days (21-23 November) at studioFive, University of Melbourne, with the 4th day (27 November) at AARE at the University of South Australia (proceeding the AARE 2022 Conference) in Adelaide. The festival connects communities, while offering the space and time to trouble and speculate as a community post COP27.
We invite you to submit a Pecha Kucha presentation. We invite these 20x20 visual presentations as sites of activism in the academy that are performative, creative, protests, visual, exploratory, speculative, and storied. If you are researching g/local digital activism, art, social justice and/or climate change, this is for you. Watch our 18 min video introducing the project and demonstrating how a Pecha Kucha can be made here
We welcome submissions from HDR and ECR. We have selected a Pecha Kucha because it creates a great visual digital story and pitch artefact and will allow our Artists-in-Residence to work with both visual and audio from your assignment as they create and generate new ways of seeing local and/or global climate, art, and digital activisms. Pecha Kucha’s 20x20 presentation format shows your 20 chosen images, each for 20 seconds. In other words, you have 400 seconds to tell your story, with visuals guiding the way. This will take a bit of thinking to develop your creative output.
You need to:
- collect 20 images that tell the story of your local and/or global climate, art, and digital activisms research,
- write a script or score or both to tell this story,
- upload the images and record the story to narrate your research story in the Pecha Kucha software or record narration directly into PowerPoint slides.
- write a short abstract (no more than 100 words)
- submit by 16th November 2020 via QUALTRICS HERE
- if your file is too big for Qualtrics, you can still fill in the details so we know it's coming and send the file via wetransfer.com
- Step 1 Go here https://www.pechakucha.com/ Create an account
- Or make your Pecha Kucha using Power Point
- Finalise your Pecha Kucha and upload with 100 word abstract
Example of a Pecha Kucha
Coleman, K; Healy, S. & Wright, S. (2021): Activating Teacher Education through A/r/tographic Practice in S.P.A.C.E. University of Melbourne. Media. https://doi.org/10.26188/16614241.v1